Saturday 12 December 2015

Science milestones

The Network has mapped a proposal for key learning milestones in Thinking Scientifically throughout Year One.

Themes
M1
M2
M3
M4
Asking questions




I can observe phenomena and begin to talk about them with age-appropriate vocabulary
I can ask age-appropriate questions, showing curiosity (where, when, who?)
I have a sense of wonder about the world
I ask age-appropriate questions (why is my coat wet? How did that happen?)

Observing using equipment



I can explore phenomena  using my senses (feel, touch, see, listen to and smell)
I can use simple apparatus given by an adult to explore phenomena (eg magnifying glass)
I can use a range of tools to observe phenomena (measuring, comparing and looking)
I can select my own equipment from simple collections provided by an adult
Performing simple tests




I can find things out about phenomena after observing it
I can carry out simple tests given by an adult
I can begin to think of ideas for a test
Identifying and classifying




I can begin to notice similarities and differences between objects using age appropriate language
I can group things by a single criteria (hard/not hard) given by an adult
I can begin to suggest my own criteria for classifying data
Using observations to suggest answers




I begin to answer questions from my own experiences (this is what happened)
I can explain answers to questions using my own experiences (I think this happened…… because)
I can begin to make predictions based on my own experiences
Gathering and recording data



I can begin to respond to phenomena by talking and drawing
I can record phenomena with some accuracy (eg observational drawing)
I can begin to sort data in a group but may not always be accurate
I can sort and record data on my own with accuracy


No comments:

Post a Comment